In the latest episode of the Ben Heck Show, Modding guru Ben Heck, creator of briefcase 3D printer, helps a wheelchair-bound expectant father Josh Benhart prepare for the arrival of his child by designing a motor assembly mod that easily attaches to a wheelchair. Ben increases functionality and hands-free mobility by adding a foot-controlled joystick for Benhart so he can safely carry his newborn while getting around the house.
"While I'm not a parent myself, I understand the immeasurable bond between a parent and child. I couldn't resist helping an excited father-to-be improve mobility while in his wheelchair, allowing for him to take care of his baby and spend as much one-on-one time as possible," said Ben. "With such significance behind this project, I definitely pulled out all the stops to create the ultimate, safe and mobile, hands-free chair."
To create the tank-like motorized control mechanism and foot-controlled joystick, Ben uses an H-bridge DC motor driver and a few MOSFET transistors to rig the components together and ultimately control motor speed and chair directionality. Then he uses his briefcase 3D printer to print a dome for the joystick. Ben connects Josh's wheelchair to the add-on motor assembly by leveraging the weight of the chair itself and the front tine that sits on the footrest, completing the perfect mobile accessory for the dad-to-be.
This project is still work-in-process but you can check out the concept and his progress in the video below (Not working well with IE, recommend to use Safari / Chrome / Opera / Firefox).
Posted in 3D Printing Applications
Maybe you also like:
- Hackerspaces in China
- Formlabs: 3D printer startup raised $500K initial funding
- Tiertime Brings Its newest 3D Printer Inspire S250 to EuroMold 2011
- 3D Systems Launchs New RapMan 3.2 3D Printer Kit
- Objet Geometries bids for NASDAQ IPO
- Z Corp bought by 3D Systems for $137 million
- Weird 3D Printed Coffee Cups from cunicode
- Can 3D Printer create new knee?
- 5 Stunning 3D Printed Lamps
- Homemade DIY High Resolution 3D Printer
- Printrbot Project - Simplest 3D Printer Recently Launched
- Zcorp issues eBook: 3D Printer Buyer's Guide
- Epson Is Developing 3D Printer
- MiniatureMoments 3D Print The Memory Of Your Photo
- Most Awesome 3D Printed Cosplay Cecil Harvey
- How To 3D Print Large Objects Without Warping
- DoD Pursuing Additive Manufacturing
- How To 3D Print A Drunkard Stamp
- How To Make Your Own Stereolithography 3D Printer
- 10 Unusual 3D Printing Objects
- A Relaxed Sunday with 3D Printed Toy Car and 3D Printed iFling
- Researchers Convert 2D Patterns Into 3D Objects by Shining Light
- 3D Printers Complement Public Library
- Tinkercad Raises $1M in Seed Funding from True Ventures and Angel Investors
- Objet 3D Printed Dashboard from StreetScooter and Other Cutting-Edge 3D Printing Applications at EuroMold 2011
- Sustainable Technology Design Competition for 3-D Printers is Open